Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nasturtiums vs Pennywort

I am still trying to develop an edible garden. Let me see: I have 2 lime plants, 2 grape plants, 1 chilli plant, 5 sweet potato leaves, 2 bean plants, 1 oregano, 4 tomato (only 1 has tomato - 1), loads of aloe vera etc. Other inedible plants: portulaca, lantana, chrysanthemum (not the tea making kind, sigh) and blue pimpernel.

However I have more or less stopped buying plants after failed attempts to get nasturtium seeds or plants. But I kinda remembered that nasturtiums have circular leaves, which were edible (so were the flowers).

So what happened was that I was at NTUC(supermarket branch which has its own nursery section) walking around when I saw plants with circular leaves.  Nasturtiums!!! They were only S$1.90 a pot, so I bought 2. Now that I was diversifying my risks a bit (as in isolate my plants from insects by having some in the office), I brought one to the office.

Mr Bear pointed out that they weren't nasturtiums. But I insisted that the stems and leaves looked really edible. So I ran "circular leaves" on google and found ... pennywort, also known as duckweed. Semi-aquatic... edible plant :D

Great for salads. Yum yum! I am toying with the idea of steamed pennywort and sweet potato leaves with some oyster sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!