Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Showdown against whiteflies

Mutter gave me her biggest chilli plant out of the 4 she has at our south-facing apartment. Lugging it home, I put it outside in the L-shape, where it proceeded to die because of the massive numbers of white fly babies it had under its leaves.
Please ignore the sweet potato leaves languishing at the bottom. They were just transplanted

I was very annoyed, and asked Mr Bear how to get rid of them. He suggested using meth spirit, just dip a cotton bud and rub it onto the affected leaves. The white flies will die easily, he said. So I happily applied meth to each leaf. I must say while I get a cheap thrill from torturing the white flies, they are very relentless and keep on reproducing. So much so that they flew off from the chilli plant and now attack my tomato leaves and sweet potato leaves *maddening!*

So I am making a chilli-garlic-water concoction, which I put in my fridge. Tomorrow I will give the whiteflies a nasty surprise by spraying this on all the plants. In the meantime, I will also find out where I can buy worm castings and apply that as well. I read that worm castings are very good for discouraging white flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!