Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pollinating the Tomato plants

I have been obsessing with pollinating the Tomato plants. The sub plant is doing really great after I separated it from the main plant, and is flowering pretty well now. The problem is how to pollinate them without a bloody biene or schmetterling? Bruder complains about the same problem at his place.

I read on reddit that I should use a small brush. Brush? No problem. I have tons of brushes from my painting. Used a fan-shaped one? Broke off the blossom. Moron I heart-pained for a very long time. So I got a tinier one. Also broke off the blossom.  This does not bode well for my painting skill.

Anyway, desperate, I turn to the oracle again. The insightful nana said on  youtube that you can hand pollinate by shaking your tomato plant around noon every day, and not after four pm, to simulate a bee pollinating the flower.

I was almost tempted to use a *censored* on it, after reading the comments. But ok, shaking? no problem. The strong wind in the L-shape would have shaken the hell out of the tomato already, but I can too, so I try to shake the tomato plant. We will see if it works. Can't be any worse than interventing with a paintbrush and killing the blossom instead...

Hmm seems that an electric toothbrush also can work. Time to sneak B1's toothbrush out without him noticing...
It seems my watering has been erratic. That's why the tomato almost split its skin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!