Saturday, February 23, 2013

Butterfly on my Portulaca

I have two kinds of portulaca, I think one is grandiflora. I am not sure what is the other one which has small tiny flower petals. I will take a photo of that soon. I love portulaca and how it is so cute as to open its petals only for a few hours per day.

If you look closely at the photo, there is a butterfly or moth resting on one of the portulaca flowers.

Vater maintains that if the insect has its wings together, then it is probably a butterfly. Mr Bear thinks it is a moth. I don't care, as long as the damn thing pollinates the rest of my plants, which will take a miracle because I live so damn high up. I am almost tempted to have my own bee hive at one point (just kidding, I had a nasty bee bite when I was in Salzburg).

Anyway I will be running around the housing estates looking at different plants grown by high rise residents. I hope I don't get scolded. I am very interested to know what plants people have success in growing in Singapore, especially those living in high rise apartments. Say for example, last week, I forgot to take something from the apartment, and got off at the 13th floor. I saw an auntie planting two radish bodies into the soil. It is quite a funny sight because the radishes are only 1/3 in the soil. I asked her what she was doing, she said she is growing them for their leaves. Again, not understanding the fascination with white radish leaves...but it piqued my interest, high-rise gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!

Because Gardening makes me wanna Dance! Thanx for visiting!!!